Monday, August 23, 2010

What a weekend







Well, our little race was a success. We found some things to work on for next year, but overall it was a lot of fun and I think everyone enjoyed their experience. We were very fortunate with the weather. It stormed like crazy Friday evening, but come Saturday morning it was gone and all we had to deal with was some humidity.
With this race being quite small I decided I'd try to race as well if everything went smooth leading up to the race. It did and my father was my co-director and he did a great job running things during the race. I am still no where near top form, but managed to take the overall win in 1:53 (Olympic distance race with a 1k swim). I held back most of the day as I didn't know what to expect. I probably could have pushed the limit a bit more, but all in all it was a good race for my first one back since my crash. I probably would not recommend putting on a race and trying to race it as well. I lucked out, but it was definitely added stress!
10 weeks ago when that happened I thought the day would never come when I'd toe the line again. It was a blast being out there and I will no longer take for granted the opportunity to race. I am going to try to sneak in a few more races before October and then hit some running races this fall. There will be very little off season for me since I already took 6 weeks off this summer. I am already excited to jump into some xc ski races this winter.

I want to send out a big shout out to Jake at Zoot. He supplied our race with a bunch of awesome Zoot stuff and it was hit! We had several people come up to us saying how cool it was that he had so much stuff to give away from Zoot. Thanks Jake! We had other awesome sponsors who supported our race: Gaylord Eye Care, McNamara Insurance, Save-A-Lot, L & R Well Drilling, Baymont Inn & Suites, and Powerbar. They all played a big role in allowing this race to happen. I would like to thank St. Mary's athletic association and the Guardian Gals for supplying volunteers for the race.
We are already looking forward to the race next year. It's going to be bigger and better!

On another note, Timberman 70.3 took place today. Tom Murtagh had about a 30min. PR today! Tom is about as busy of a guy as I know with a wife, three kids and a very busy job. Tom always puts those other things first and I admire that greatly.

My good friend, Joel Myers, had an awesome day at Timberman today as well. It has been fun seeing Joel progress so much this past year and a half. I have spent more time training with Joel than anyone else and I know first hand how hard Joel has worked. This is only the start for him with having big time results.
I will post some more pictures soon along with a couple short flip videos.

2 comments:

melissa m said...

Congrats!!! Racing after the crash and putting together your first race with your father. A lot to be proud of!!

Dave Smith said...

Thanks Melissa...it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see you and Steven crush it next weekend in Edinburgh.