Friday, August 13, 2010

Busy!

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. After we moved two weeks ago from tomorrow it's been pretty much a whirlwind. Every day Rachel and I ask each other where has the time gone? We FINALLY got our internet all situated. I've been going over to the local library the past 2 weeks for internet use and have only had time for the bare minimum. The athletes I'm coaching were getting a bit of the short end fo the stick because of my limited email access. It's all good now though as we are pretty much fully settled in at this point. I won't lie...moving is kind of a pain in the butt. When you're a pretty routine guy, change can be tough. I think I've handled pretty well, though, and have really enjoyed getting out to train in my new "playground." I really did not start triathlon until Rachel and I moved to VA Beach. I knew it was hilly in northern MI, but not THIS hilly. I can hardly find a route that doesn't have me climbing for over half the ride. Nothing beats the rush of cranking up a big hill and then just letting er rip down the other side...talk about a rush! The hills for riding and running are definitely going to make me a stronger athlete. Riding out in the Shanty Creek/Schuss Mtn. area is my favorite so far. It's beautiful back there and you can see for miles at some of the tops of the hills.

The Mark Mellon Memorial Triathlon that my father and I are putting on is next weekend. It's going to be a pretty small event this year, but we look to make it a bit bigger each year hopefully. The town of Gaylord has really come together to help make this event happen. As long as we have all of our ducks in a row come race day, I'm even thinking about jumping in the race. We are working with a company (Runner's Edge) who will be doing all of the timing and essentially running the race. We did all the behind the scenes work to get everything ready. I'm really looking forward to next weekend.

That's about all for now. I should be able to post more on a regular basis now that our internet is working. We're off to Gaylord tonight to watch my little brother's soccer game, catch a swim in Big lake and then dinner with my family. Can't beat that!

No comments: