Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Guardian Gals

This morning my father and I had the opportunity to meet with the Guardian Girls at a local coffee shop in Gaylord. It's an excellent group for adolescent girls and women to get involved with. We went and spoke a bit about the upcoming triathlon and 5k this Saturday. It was a lot of fun meeting a few of the people involved with this group and we are very thankful they are going to provide some volunteers for the race. Hopefully a few of them will also come out and participate in the event as well.

It has been a busy week thus far running around doing last minute stuff for the race. It's all good stuff though and it's worth all the effort. I really hope the weather cooperates and gives the racers a gorgeous day.

On the training front I am finally getting close to where I was before I broke my cb. Fitness is progressing in each discipline and I'm really absorbing the workload now. Time to really start getting at it again. Racing this weekend is probably a couple weeks premature, but I'm ready to go at it...just might not be firing on all cylinders like I would normally want. Who knows maybe I'll surprise myself. One thing I'm definitely already noticing is how strong the hills are making me. I haven't ran a flat route yet...until today and it wasn't even completely flat. Running 6:45s was a walk in the park. That may not seem all that special, but when coming back from an injury where you took 7 weeks off from running and basically any training at all...this is a good sign to see again.

Getting ready for school to start after Labor Day...it will be nice being in more of a routine again. seems like forever since I was at school, especially since I took the last 2 weeks of school off this year with my surgery and what not.

So far so good here in Mancelona. It's a lot different and smaller than Virginia Beach, but it's been a nice change. We are really enjoying being able to see family more and just the whole lifestyle. Everyone is so friendly up here too and not so much in a hurry.

Good luck to my good friend Joel Myers is racing up at Timberman this weekend. There will be several JRM athletes racing up there this weekend...including two athletes I coach, Curran and Tom. Timberman is an awesome race and one I planning on for next year. Have fun everyone!

1 comment:

HUNIT said...

Dave,
Thanks for blogging about the Guardian Gals. I just googled us to see what the public will be seeing as they begin googling us & have stumbled across this blog, which is interesting to read. I have had a letter addressed to you, your brother & your aunts who were such a huge part of the Mark Mellon excitement. If you can email me at abbyhamilton@gmail.com I will get these in the mail to you. They have information pertaining to our upcoming Guardian Gals Making Change 5k & 1 mile Run/Walk, which quickly approaches Oktoberfest Saturday, which is October 2nd.

Abby Hamilton