Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Starkermann Duathlon

Little brother Daniel did the Jr. Starkermann. Quite the accomplishment for a 6 yr. old



Rachel, baby, and I



End of the bike




Coming into T1





This blog seems to be harder and harder to keep up, but I'm going try my best to get back on board. I should have more time this summer to get at least one out per week.




I raced the Starkermann Duathlon last weekend and was fortunate to come up with another win. I had some more competition than my first race of the year and even had to run a guy down on the 2nd 5k run. All signs pointed towards my training working very well. I am for sure as fit as I've ever been on the bike and run front. Swim wise things have been a bit different b/c I've done a lot of swimming solo, but the sets I've done in the last couple of months have been very specific to triathlon and the distances I focus on. I think this will pay off, especially as I start to freshen up these last couple of weeks before Eagleman. This past weekend I capped off this build with a 16 mile progressive run with the last 5 miles under 6:20 pace. Nothing special really, but after the week of training I laid down it was a solid workout. I also rode 4.5 hours with lots of time very close to half ironman effort and then a short run off the bike at close to HIM goal pace. There is still a bit of work to do, but it's time to start freshening up. This has been a different build than I've ever done for a 70.3, but it seems to be working great and I'm coming into better shape each week. I am really looking forward to June 12th and absolutely laying it all out there. It's been a while since I've gone completely to the well and I'm excited to have an opportunity to do so. I cannot wait to go toe to toe with some of the best triathletes in the country. Eagleman is always one of the most competitive 70.3s on the circuit b/c it's one of only a few races left where you can qualify for Kona without doing a full ironman.




Newspaper clip from race.

1 comment:

Michelle C said...

Congratulations Dave! I love the picture of you, Rachel and the baby! Double congratulations are in order, I suppose. Glad to see that you guys are doing so well out in Michigan.

Michelle Carrancho