Friday, February 26, 2010

USAT Clinic- Charlotte


This past weekend I was in Charlotte for the USAT coaching clinic. I drove down Thursday evening with Greg and met up with Kim. John Kenny, swim phenom, joined us as well later in the evening as he was driving down all the way from Philadelphia. All 3 guys made the weekend a fun experience. We learned a lot over the course of the weekend from Bob Seebohar, Bobby McGee, Ian Murray, and Krista Austin. These four are experts in their various fields and it was a treat to listen to them talk. I took away some very good pieces of information that I can use both with my own training/racing and with my athletes. Janda has certainly taught me well as everything we are doing is pretty much spot on. There is always room for growth and improvement though. What I really liked was the dialogue between the various coaches in the room. Someone always has a little different way to look at things and that can open your eyes to certain methods/ideas you may have not otherwise thought of.

Training has been going pretty well. I've had to improvise a bit the last two weekends because of being away to Michigan and then to North Carolina. I don't think I've skipped a beat though really as workouts this week are rolling right along. I am racing a half marathon in Williamsburg this Sunday so it will be nice to see where my run fitness is really at. My Wednesday morning runs with Todd have helped my run come a ways since the end of last season. I'm excited to race again...it's been a while!

Rachel was being a little creepy the other morning and took a short flip video of me while punishing myself on the trainer. My workout room is little, but I open the window up, set up a couple of fans, have my itunes, and some motivational pictures on the wall in front of me. Late in a tough set on the bike...those pictures go a long way.

No comments: