Monday, January 14, 2013

Frozen Foot 5 Miler

Yesterday I raced the Frozen Foot 5 Mile road race in Traverse City. I normally don't race much besides a few xc ski races during the winter, but I always find a nice little fitness jump after a race and there really is no better test to see where your fitness is at. I wanted to see where I was truly at with my running right now. I really had no specific goal, but was pretty sure I could run 5:45 pace with the course being fairly hilly with a decent amount of wind. The temps were awesome though for this time of the year being almost 50 degrees. Rare for sure in N. Michigan, but I'll take it as I'm sure the snow will be returning soon.

I felt great and ran 28:05 for the 5 miles, which equates to more like 5:38 pace. I was 2nd place on the day. For this time of the year I am very pleased with this. I have only been training for 6 weeks and the first 4 of those weeks were really just getting my body rolling again. I've been doing some solid training the last 2 weeks, but did not expect that pace to feel so controlled. I think the bit of run block I did this fall is paying off and then just the consistent training. Each year I do this sport I sweat it gets easier and easier to get back up to a good fitness level after taking a break.

No comments: