Sunday, July 11, 2010

Finally!

This probably doesn't really warrant a blog, but I'm pumped! After 5 weeks of no running I was finally able to get out this morning for a short run...no watch, didn't care how far I went...just got out and ran for a bit. I thought for sure it would feel awkward and I'd have a little pain...nope! Things are definitely starting to come back around. People keep telling me I've recovered so fast because I'm young...this is probably true, but at the same time when you're as diligent with your recovery plan as you are your normal training I think you can really come back a lot quicker. I took my 2 weeks of doing nothing, but even then I was making sure I rested a ton and iced my shoulder area often. The last 2 weeks I've seen a huge improvement. I've been on the trainer/spin bike/elliptical every day and then also doing some core/lower body work and hitting the pool to aqua jog and do whatever swimming I could (mostly kicking and balance drills). Range of motion in my shoulder area is getting back to normal...but once again it isn't just by chance. I've been doing little exercises to increase the range and get the strength back.

Now I just need to figure out some races for the fall. It's going to be another 4 weeks probably before I feel like I'm actually in some good shape again. So hopefully by the middle/end of August I can be back out there racing.

I know for a lot of people it's probably not all that big of a deal to be out for 5 weeks, but when something is such a big part of your life that's a long time.

See you out there on the roads, trails, or pool soon.

2 comments:

C. P. said...

I hear ya, Dave. I'm on the slow road to recovery after my first real injury in 20+ years. A few weeks of inactivity seems like an eternity. Train on!

Dave Smith said...

Hey C.P...thanks for the message. It has seemed like a long time, but things seem to be coming back a bit. All part of sports right? Good luck with your comeback!