Friday, November 30, 2012

Off season break

One of the most challenging, yet enjoyable times of the year for me are the 4 or so weeks after my last race of the season. It's not easy for an endurance athlete to take time off, but it's very important if you're hoping to progress a bit further each year. Now, by taking time off I am not talking about 4 weeks or so of no training at all. Sure I'll take probably a total of 7-10 days completely off during that time, but I have found for me it's better if I don't take those days all at once. Doing it this way allows me to get back into things quicker and not feel so horrible those first 2-3 weeks of real training. This year it worked out nicely because I took 3 full days off at the start of deer season and then over Thanksgiving break. After the 2nd 3 days I finally feel completely ready both mentally and physically to get back to work. The mental component is huge so you avoid burnout. Triathlon has a bad burnout rate where people get into the sport for 2-3 years and then get burned out so they quit. The guys who are crushing it year after year typcially say it takes a good 10+ years in the sport to come even close to potential. Most say they hit their endurance peak in their mid 30s. I am very hopefuly this is the case because if it is I can plan on seeing more improvement for another 10 years or so.

From a physical standpoint it's important to take a good break each season. Even if you feel 100% there are always a couple of small niggling injuries that have been hidden throughout the year. If you train hard during the year, something is not 100% with your body. I very rarely get injured and have never actually had an overuse injury (touch wood) that has sidelined me. I firmly believe the break at the end of each year keeps my body happy. A smart thing to do during your break is to keep up on some recovery methods...chiro, massage, cold/hot baths, compression, foam rolling, eating well, etc.

A lot of people think I'm nuts starting my training for the next season the first week of December. Those are the same people that will be behind myself and any of the athletes I coach. You are not killing yourself in the winter. What you are doing is very gradually laying down a fitness base that will allow you to do the race specific training you need to do once March/April rolls around. These are flat out THE most important months of the year. If not done, you will be playing catch up all year and your race results will suffer. I probably only truly average 10-12 hours of training a week for the first few cycles, but I am consistent and do the correct work to set me up for the specific prep that follows. I typically will swim, bike, and run 3 times each during the winter. That, with 2-3 strength sessions plus 1-2 xc ski sessions a week and come March I'm ready to get after it. Most of the winter is spent indoors. I'll get outside to do most of my runs and every now and again if the roads are not icy I'll head out on the mtn. bike. I utilize a treadmill for my faster run sessions. For the strength work, I've gone back to traditonal weight training the last 2 years. I really find this to be huge as I go through the season. Gains are made until about March and then as the s, b, r training increases I just look to maintain that strength. I do one day of TRX work as well.

The fun part for me is putting the training puzzle together. Taking what has worked in the past and then adding in a couple of new things each year so I don't get stagnate. This year I plan to do a little more volume in all 3 disciplines and then dial back the intensity a bit. I will always do some fast stuff year round, but last year I skimped a bit too much on the run and cycling volume. This had me going very well on the shorter stuff, but I was a little undertrained for the half ironmans. With stepping up to Ironman this year, that volume cannot be missing. I have laid out a very solid program that I am confident will put me in the best shape of my life for Lake Placid. For now, it's all about easing the body back into some consistent work. I am pumped to start back up and I suggest you do the same if you want to have your best season yet!

No comments: