Monday, March 28, 2011

Spartacus and training update

Going to start off this blog by sharing a video of the great Spartacus. Anyone who pays attention to cycling know who I'm talking about. This is an inspiring effort that makes you want to ride your bike hard. If it weren't for a tough 16 mile run this morning, I'd head out on the bike for a bit just because this video makes me want to. We have made it to spring break. All teachers know that once you get back from this break, the end of the year goes by quick. We are headed to Anna Marie Island on Wednesday for a few days with my family. We've been there a few times now and it's an awesome place. Beautiful beach and the water is perfect for swimming. I'll be taking it easy while we're there, but I'll still be getting out for some beach runs and open water swims. My new Zoot wetsuit is supposed to be arriving tommorrow so just in time! Training has been going well. My last blog I talked about being sick and it took me a few days to get back into things, but this week I felt completely back to myself and my numbers were back on track. This is always the way it goes, but every time I get sick (usually only once or twice a year...teacher syndrome) I worry about losing fitness. If you were to get sick a lot this could be the case, but when you have a great base of training laid down the extra rest often times ends up being a good thing. Case in point, this past week was my biggest week of the year yet and I crushed it. yesterday and today capped off a tough week and I did a 2:45 trainer session with lots of quality followed by a short t run. Today I ran 16 at an average of about 6:45 pace...started off a little slower than that and finished strong. Nothing too crazy, but at the end of the week I had plus a hilly course it's a good sign for this time of year. I will finally start racing here next month...only a 5k run race, but still. May will then be the official start to the multi-sport season. I can't wait! Here's to some warm weather in a few days! And hopefully when we get back here...i just want to ride outside, that's all I ask:)

No comments: