Monday, February 28, 2011

Some hoops and training

We finished up our basketball season on Friday night with a win. Put us at 18-2 for the year. First time Mancelona has won the league in basketball (even though it was only j.v.) in a LONG time. The kids made some nice improvement as the year went on. I hope they stick with it because a few of them have potential to really be special. Apparently, in the past there has been very little opportunity for the kids to play any time besides during the season. I really hope to change that. The one thing all of these boys have and I was fortunate to have the same thing when I grew up...they know how to win games. We had plenty of close games, but down the stretch they always were able to pull it out. Even Friday we should have been up by a lot more towards the end of the game, but it was close and nothing was for sure. The boys stayed composed, made some key free throws, and took care of business. The varsity is really playing well now and is on that upswing that you want to be in heading into March Madness. I think they are going to surprise some teams and possibly steal a district title. Going to be fun!

With the season coming to end, this will free up some nice time to train. Perfect timing with Spring right around the corner. My body and mind are in a great spot for the end of February. I really have not forced anything this winter...I really just let the fitness come on and was patient. In the past being in an area (VA Beach) there was so much temptation to train above where I was at because you pretty much raced year round and there were always people to push you in training. My numbers are as good if not better right now than they have ever been this time of year so it just goes to show that you can get as fit as you want by yourself anywhere in the world as long as you have a good PLAN. Today had me spending 40 minutes at half ironman pace doing some big gear work and this is the easiest I think it's ever been for me to push around 270 -280 watts. Had some nice swims this week. It's been a big help having Chris push me once or twice a week in the pool. He is slightly faster than me in the water so it's just right. Run wise it was a pretty low key week being that it was a recovery week. Pretty much just logged 30 miles or so at an easy pace. Back to work next week though. It's time to up the ante just a bit more. It won't be long before I'm racing again.

Rachel and I were able to feel our baby for the first time this past week. It seems to be the same time each night and then early in the morning as well. It's amazing and we can't wait to meet that little bugger. Rachel is certainly showing now too. She's about as cute as it gets for a pregnant woman.

Things are picking up a bit on the coaching front. People are starting to prepare for the upcoming triathlon/running season. It's great seeing so many people starting to take a liking to endurance activities. It's such a fun thing to be involved with and the people you meet along the way are some really special people.

No comments: